Home Based Businesses

Operating a Home-Based Business in the City of Kalamunda

A Home Business, Home Occupation or Home Office is a small scale business or activity operated on an ancillary basis within a residential property.

If you are starting out in business, it may be possible for you to operate from home until you become established, especially if you provide a service.

The Home Business, Home Occupation or Home Office must be operated by the occupier of the residence and is not transferable to other owners, occupiers or properties.

If your business will be operated from a residential address you may need to apply for planning approval. In some cases planning approval may not be required. You must check the City’s requirements as, in situations where approval is required, it must be obtained prior to the business commencing operating from your home. Depending on the type of business that you will be operating, you may require other licences or approvals from the City.

For guidance please see the City of Kalamunda’s Home Occupation Information Sheet

For guidance on other approvals that may be necessary from the City please see Health Services Approvals and Licences

For advice on starting up your home-based business in the City you can contact the Small Business Development Commission. 

The Business Licence Finder is a free online tool you can use to assist identifying the various other permits or licences your business may need from State or Federal Government.

A new national business names registration service has replaced the state system, so that businesses only need to register their name with the single national register. Unless you fall within an exemption, you must register your business name.

You will also need to ensure that you comply with your business tax obligations. You can obtain information and guidance from the Australian Taxation Office.

© City of Kalamunda 2024