Offroad Vehicles

There are NO Permitted Off Road Vehicle areas within the City of Kalamunda

Kalamunda does not have any off road vehicles areas. The gravel tracks and roads are within state forest/national parks and can be driven on (as long as there is no signage restricting access) by any road licensed vehicle.

Many tracks are closed and are only for access by authorised vehicles and Fire Appliances. These roads are not maintained and generally have gates across them.

This may also be to reduce the spread of Dieback. More information on State Forest and National Parks is available from Department of Biodiversity Conservation and Attractions (Parks and Wildlife Service).

Please refer to EMRC PerthTourism website for Drive Trails in our Eastern Region.The Control of Vehicles (Off-Road Areas) Act 1978 regulates and controls the activities of off road vehicles. Within the Act, an off road vehicle is defined as one which is not registered for on road use. Within the areas of operation of the Act, off road vehicles can only be used on permitted areas or on private land with the consent of the owner.

So where can I ride?

Find out on the Recreational Trailbike Riders' Association website. They have developed and provide comprehensive information for riders and their parents. They also have a guide to legal off riding in Western Australia.

Who is affected?

An off road vehicle is a vehicle which is not registered under the Road Traffic Act 1974. This means that ordinary vehicles, including four wheel drive vehicles registered for on road use, are not affected.

How are they affected?

  • Off road vehicles must be registered
  • Off road vehicles must comply with prescribed safety and noise standards
  • Off road vehicles can be used only in certain specified areas (Permitted Areas), or on private land with the owner’s or occupier’s consent
  • Children under eight years of age are not allowed to drive off road vehicles (except on private land where the owner’s or occupier’s consent has been given).


The Department of Planning and Infrastructure will register recreational vehicles. Exemption from registration applies to:

  • Vehicles already licensed with the Transport Department 
  • Vehicles used exclusively on private land.

Registration is for twelve months, with an annual fee of $6 for renewal after initial registration. One number plate, at a further cost of $6, and a Certificate of Registration will be issued for each vehicle. The number plate must be attached to the rear of the vehicle and the Certificate of Registration carried on the vehicle whenever used in a Permitted Area. 

Only a person who has attained the age of eighteen years can register a recreational vehicle.  No third party insurance cover is provided with the registration and the third party cover is not compulsory.

Any change of address or transfer of ownership of an off road vehicle must be made in writing to the Department of Planning and Infrastructure.

Vehicle Standards
Off road vehicles must comply with certain prescribed noise and safety standards to qualify for registration and must continue to meet the standards whenever used in Permitted Areas.
Minimum safety requirements relating to the construction and operation of off road vehicles are prescribed in the regulations. The maximum permissible noise levels are also prescribed in the regulations. It is compulsory for all recreational vehicles to be fitted with an efficient muffler.

Permitted Areas

The Act provides for Permitted Areas to be declared for use by off road vehicles.

Permitted Areas may be restricted to certain types of vehicles e.g. mini bike areas, dune buggy areas.

Details of Permitted Areas can be obtained from the local council or the Department of Land Administration.

Failure to comply with the Act The penalties set down for offenders against the act include:

  • Using an off-road vehicle outside a Permitted Area $500
  • Using an off-road vehicle in a dangerous condition $500
  • Causing undue or excessive noise $200
  • Allowing a person under eight years of age to have control of an off-road vehicle $200.

A Court may also order the confiscation of a vehicle for up to one year. Authorised officers appointed under the Act have the authority to request your name and address and to issue infringement notices for offences under this Act.

Authorised officers include members of the Police Force, rangers and certain government officers.

Unregistered vehicles may be impounded by any authorised officer if the ownership of the vehicle cannot be proved.

Further information regarding penalties can be obtained by visiting the State Law Publisher website.


You get a lot of pleasure from your recreation vehicle just by using it or as part of doing other things, but recreation vehicles can annoy others and spoil the natural environment if they’re not used sensibly. It only takes a few inconsiderate people to damage the reputation of recreation vehicles users as a whole.

Support this code of ethics when you drive or ride. You’ll keep everyone happy, recreation vehicle users, and the rest.

  • Keep to the laws and regulations on recreation vehicles. They change from State to State.
  • Others have a right to peace and solitude – avoid noisy driving near settlements and general recreation areas.
  • Keep to constructed vehicle tracks. Drive or ride off roads only when you have special permission.
  • Alpine areas, swamps and vegetated sand dunes are easily damaged.  Avoid them.
  • Respect our wildlife. Stop and look, but never disturb or chase animals. It can affect their survival.
  • Keep the environment clean. Carry your own and maybe even other people’s rubbish home.
  • Obey all fire restrictions. Extinguish your fire before leaving. Don’t let your exhaust emit sparks.
  • Keep to restrictions on the use of public land. Leave livestock alone and gates as found.
  • Keep your vehicle mechanically sound and quiet with an efficient muffler
  • Take adequate water, food, fuel and spares on trips. In remote areas, travel with another vehicle.
  • Join an appropriate and responsible recreation vehicle club if you use your vehicle mainly for recreation
  • Help in bushfire emergencies and search and rescue, if you are properly equipped and able.
© City of Kalamunda 2024