Burn SMART Community Demonstration
26 September 2021 : 9:30 AM - 26 September 2021 : 11:30 AM
Join us for a live demonstration of how to conduct a SMART BURN in preparation for this coming bushfire season. The Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES) is delivering a Burn SMART live demonstration for the City of Kalamunda community.
Planned burning is the deliberate burning of a pre-determined area under the right environmental conditions to reduce fuel loads. Planned burns are done under mild and stable weather conditions so that the fire burns slowly and with low flame heights. Planned burning is just one of several methods used to reduce fuel loads. Other methods include raking, slashing, ploughing and weed control.
When combined, these methods can:
- Maximise the effectiveness of your fuel management
- Reduce the impact of bushfire
- Assist in protecting life and property
Done properly, planned burning is an efficient way to remove the build-up of fuel over larger areas of land where other methods are too labour intensive.
- The Burn Smart campaign aims to educate community members about planned burning on private land. Planned burning on private property is essential part of reducing the bush fire risk, however escaped burns increase the risk of impacting property and lives and put a strain on firefighting resources.
- To provide landowners better understanding of planned burning and reduce the risk of their burns escaping.
- Provide the community with the tools to make decisions on the most effective method to mitigate their risk of bushfire.
- Achieve compliance with the City of Kalamunda’s Fire Hazard Reduction Notice.
- Assess the preparedness of the local community.
1 Reeds Road,
Marko Travicich Reserve
City of Kalamunda
(08) 9257 9999
We respectfully acknowledge the Traditional Owners, the Whadjuk Noongar People as the Custodians of this land. We also pay respect to all Aboriginal community Elders, past, present and future who have and continue to reside in the area and have been an integral part of the history of this region.