More than 1,000 fires occur in homes annually causing damage and costing people their lives. Many of these fires are accidental and preventable.
DFES recommend that you have a Home Fire Escape Plan and also ensure that all households have working Smoke Alarms.
In the Event of a fire
- Crawl low under smoke
- Assist or alert any people in danger, but only if it is safe to do so
- Go to your safe meeting place, such as your letter box
- Call 000 (triple zero)
- Wait for firefighters to arrive
- Do not re-enter a burning house under any circumstances
Home Fire Escape Plan
- Know two ways out of every room
- Decide where your safe meeting place is (outside your home)
- Keep keys in deadlocks to escape quickly in the event of a fire
- Provide alternatives for anyone with a disability
- Consider an escape plan for your pets
- Practise your plan with your family at least twice a year
DFES have produced a range of manual, guidelines and brochures to assist in getting your home safe.
DFES Home Fire Safety Fact Sheets
DFES Smoke Alarms Fact Sheets
For all life-threatening emergencies please call 000
For non life threatening situations, please contact the State Emergency Services on 132 500
Reason for your rating *
Please enter the code below *