Frequently Asked Questions


Inspections and Work Orders

Fire Break and Fuel Load Notice


Inspections and Work Orders

This is the first time that I have ever heard of a 'Fire Notice'. Why was I not told before receiving this Work Order?
The Fire Hazard Reduction Notice is sent out annually with Rates. The Notice is also advertised several times leading up to the season via the city of Kalamunda Webpage, Facebook and local print media

Can I have an extension to complete the work?
The City does not provide extensions for work orders unless; A) a contractor has been engaged to complete the works on your behalf - NOTE: Contractor will need to notify the City on your behalf, advising of when the prescribed works are to be completed. The prescribed works must be completed as soon as possible; or B) Resident waiting on a skip bin from the City, in which they will have to provide the City an email copy of Cleanaway’s confirmation. These extensions will only be granted via written confirmation from the City.

I have just had an Inspector on my property, is this allowed?
S39(1) Special powers of bush fire control officers Subject to the provisions of this Act a bush fire control officer appointed under this Act by a local government may, in the exercise of his functions and the performance of his duties under this Act, do all or any of the following things — (b) enter any land or building, whether private property or not; and (d) cause fire-breaks to be ploughed or cleared on land, whether private land or not, and take such other appropriate measures on the land as he may deem necessary for the purpose of controlling or extinguishing a bush fire or for preventing the spread or extension of the fire.

I only just received my work order, yet it was dated a few days ago. Can I have an extension?
The City recognised that Australia Post will sometimes be delayed and has worked this into the 14-day requirement.

What happens if I refuse to do the work?
If you refuse to do the work, you may be issued with an infringement. The City may employ a Contractor to carry out the prescribed works on High Risk, non-compliant properties, which will be charged to the property owner. Additionally, the City may prosecute you under the Bush Fires Act 1954 in Court, were you may face up to $5000 in penalties and associated costs.

Why does the City of Kalamunda conduct Fire Hazard Inspections?
To ensure a safe ad resilient community and to help control and prevent the spread of fire.

Why is the Fire Inspector only inspecting my area?
The entire City is subjected to the annual Notice. We have multiple Fire Hazard Inspectors that conduct the inspections simultaneously across the City of Kalamunda. These inspections will commence on the 1st of November annually.

I have my concerns about a bush fire hazard. How do I report it?
Please go to the City’s website where you can lodge an online request. A Fire Hazard Inspector will then investigate the request and if deemed to be a fire risk, the appropriate action will be taken.

The City is not taking care of their Verges and yet I am being asked to complete a Work Order?
Please refer to the City’s 'Street Tree and Streetscape Policy' or contact the City Parks Team on 9257 9809

What do I do if I receive a bush fire infringement and I don't agree with it?
If you wish to object to the infringement that you received, please lodge an online 'infringement request for withdrawal form' via the City’s website. This will then be reviewed via the appropriate procedure. This has to be submitted to the City of Kalamunda within a 28-day period of the infringement being issued, otherwise the objection may not be considered.

Do you have a Contractor's List?
The City does not provide a Contractors List to residents. Contractors for the area can be found online via search engines and within local directories.

[return to top]

Fire Break and Fuel Load Notice

What is a Variation?
A Variation is an exemption to the conditions outlined in the notice.

Do I need a Variation?
If you consider a requirement set out in the notice to be impossible to comply with, then you may require a variation.

How do I get a Variation?
To apply for a variation, you must submit an online form on the City’s website, outlining the reason/s as to why a variation is required and what alternative mitigating measures have been implemented. Variations will be assessed by the CBFCO and approved on a case by case basis. Variations are only valid for the season and are not automatically renewed.

How will I know if my property has a variation?
Once you have applied for a variation, the City will send a confirmation letter advising the outcome and conditions.

[return to top]


What are firebreaks?
A firebreak is a 3-metre-wide, bare mineral earth, cleared strip/track. A firebreak must not have any combustible materials present and must have a height clearance of 4 metres minimum. A firebreak is used for firefighting techniques and access for fire appliances in the event of an emergency incident. These breaks must be in a continuous, trafficable form meaning a large vehicle can drive continuously and safe in one direction within the perimeter of the property and end up where they started.

What is the best method to install Firebreaks to my property?
There are many ways to achieve the desired outcome. The City suggests seeking professional advice from a Contractor.

I have an issue with a Neighbours overhanging tree. What can I do?
In relation to overhanging branches, the Dividing Fences Act 1961 and the Citizens Advice Bureau ( provides residence assistance in these instances. Local Government is generally not involved in relation to trees on boundaries of private property as there is existing legislation and mechanisms in place to manage these issues. The City of Kalamunda has an Overhanging Branched and Tree Root fact sheet which is available to all residents .

[return to top]

Can I use a Fire Pit, solid fuel BBQ, Pizza Oven and Smokers during the Prohibited Fire Season?
Download Information Sheet
Solid Fuel refers to the product used to fuel the fire, examples are dry wood, dry paper, synthetic char or charcoal type fuel. Solid fuels doesn’t include gas or liquid.

  • There is NO Total Fire Ban or Harvest and Movement Ban currently active in the City.
  • Fire danger forecast by the Bureau of Meteorology is set to “low-moderate” or “high”
  • Clearance around site of fire is at least 3 metres i.e. NO debris or inflammable materials within 3 metres of fire. (Bushfire Act 1954 section.25)
  • Suitable precautions must be taken so that no nuisance smoke arises.
    Causing excessive smoke is a prosecutable offence under the City’s Health Local Laws


  • During a Total Fire Ban or Harvest and Movement Ban currently active in your designated locality.
  • No open fire is permitted while a ban is in place. This includes cooking outside using an open fire under verandas and patios.
  • Fire danger forecast by the Bureau of Meteorology is set to “catastrophic”, “extreme”, “severe” or “very high”

[return to top]

What is a Total Fire Ban or Vehicle Movement Ban?
Total Fire Bans are declared by the Department of Fire & Emergency Services (DFES) during times of extreme weather conditions or when the possibility of widespread bushfires may impact heavily on resources.
Harvest and Vehicle Movement Bans are declared by the City (by the Chief Bush Fire Control Officer) and limits the operation of machinery and plant equipment likely to cause a fire when operated over or near flammable material, dry grass, stubble or bush.
The responsibility remains on the individual to ensure that the activity undertaken will not cause a fire, and that a ban is not currently in place.
Refer to the Fire Definitions section for full details including prohibited activites.

[return to top]

Rate this page - Was the information useful to you?
Rate this page - Was the information useful to you?
Reason for your rating *

Please enter the code below *