The Eastern Hills Catchment Management Program (EHCMP) is an award winning partnership program between the City of Kalamunda, the Shire of Mundaring, the City of Swan and the Eastern Metropolitan Regional Council (EMRC). The program aims to achieve a co-ordinated strategic approach to the restoration of land, bushland and creek lines. This has been achieved through a range of natural resource management activities and practices within the Councils, broader community and regional Natural Resource Management Groups.
The outcomes of EHCMP are closely aligned with the objectives of the Perth Region NRM through the Swan Region Strategy for Natural Resource Management (NRM) and the Swan River Trust through the Healthy Rivers Action Plan.
The program encompasses three team members with a Natural Resource Management Officer based at the City of Kalamunda on a part-time basis.
In the City of Kalamunda the EHCMP team undertake the following activities:
- Represent the City at Natural Resource Management forums.
- Implements the sampling and analysis plans for surface water quality across the City of Kalamunda which were developed in close collaboration with the Perth Region NRM and Department of Environment and Conservation.
- Implement a catchment planning program.
- Provide advice to community members wanting to undertake conservation activities on their private properties.
- Run a series of free workshops in collaboration with the Environmental Services, which provide both information and practical hands-on sessions regarding landcare, bushcare and wetland care for the hills environment.
- Assist individuals in applying for grant funding.
- Release a monthly newsletter in collaboration with the Environmental Services. These activities support a very active community that has significant positive impact in managing the City of Kalamunda’s natural resources and further to this the team take on further NRM projects as the opportunities arise. The team, for example, obtains grant funding to implement a number of landcare initiatives throughout the City.
An example of a project implemented by the Eastern Hills Catchment Management Project is the Booralie Way Reserve Restoration Project. Click here for more details on this project.
Click here to view additional information pertaining to the Eastern Hills Catchment Management Project (link to EMRC website)
Reason for your rating *
Please enter the code below *