The subject area (Wattle Grove South) is approximately 310ha and is located within the City of Kalamunda (the City) in the suburb of Wattle Grove and is generally bound by Tonkin Highway to the west, Welshpool Road East to the north, and Kelvin Road, Judith Road, Fontano Road and the City's border with the City of Gosnells to the east.
The Western Australian Planning Commission's (WAPC) North-East Sub-Regional Planning Framework (the Framework), adopted in March 2018, identifies the majority of Wattle Grove South as Urban Expansion. An eastern portion of Wattle Grove South is identified as Urban Investigation. The City's Local Planning Strategy 2010 identifies Wattle Grove South as an investigation area.
In September 2017 the City appointed consultants to undertake a Feasibility Study (the Study) in Wattle Grove to identify the most appropriate boundaries, land uses and planning processes going forward.
Amongst other details, the Study examined two land use options for the area identified within the Framework.
Option 1: Residential Development
Under this option, the whole Wattle Grove South area would be concurrently zoned ‘Urban’ under the Metropolitan Region Scheme (MRS), and ‘Urban Development’ under the City of Kalamunda Local Planning Scheme No.3 (LPS3) and developed entirely for residential purposes.
Option 2: Residential and Commercial / Light Industry
Under this option, two separate MRS amendments to rezone the land ‘Urban’ would be submitted, one for the land generally north of Crystal Brook Road, and one for land south of Crystal Brook Road. The MRS amendments will seek concurrent amendments to rezone the land to ‘Urban Development’ and ‘Industrial Development’ under LSP3.
The Study was considered by Council at the 24 July 2018 Ordinary Council Meeting. Council Resolved to:
- NOTE the Wattle Grove South Feasibility Study, as outlined in Attachment 1.
- SUPPORT continuing with the next phases of planning, subject to community consultation on the land use options as part of the preparation of the draft District Structure Plan.
View OCM Agenda and Minutes for 24 July 2018
View Feasibility Study Report (PDF, 82.6KB)
September 2017 - In September 2017 the City appointed Burgess Design Group (BDG) to undertake the Wattle Grove South Feasibility Study. The Study investigated the opportunities and constrains of the area, an analysis of the key considerations for future planning and recommended the most appropriate land uses and planning process.
The Study states There are several tributaries which traverse the site, as well as a wetland located along the western boundary of the site. A DWMS will be required as part of any future rezoning under the MRS, as well as groundwater monitoring to inform the Local Water Management Strategy (LWMS) and local structure planning stage.
Yule Brook, a major tributary, exists 55 m to the north of the site, separated by Welshpool Road East. An un-named minor non-perennial watercourse traverses the northern portion of the site connecting to Yule Brook in the northeast. In addition, another minor perennial watercourse traverses along the boundary in the south-western corner of the site. The site also contains three constructed earth dams and two perennial lakes. A constructed minor drain extends south of Crystal Brook Road to a constructed dam. The site is not within a mapped 100 Year ARI Floodplain Area.
June 2018 - In June 2018, Council adopted the draft Industrial Development Strategy (Strategy) for the purposes of public advertising. The Strategy is intended to provide direction to strategic and statutory planning decision making within the City and to facilitate and manage growth and changes to industrial areas within the City. The draft Strategy identified a portion of Wattle Grove South, generally south of Crystal Brook Road as an ‘Industrial Investigation Area’.
Significant community concern was raised in relation to the potential for the southern portion of the area being identified for Commercial / Light Industry by the Study as recommended by the Study. Significant community concern was also raised in relation to the identification of a portion of Wattle Grove South as an Industrial Investigation Area in the Industrial Development Strategy.
July 2018 - The Study was completed in May 2018 and presented to Council in July 2018 to consider the recommendations of the Study and support the next phases of detailed planning. Council Resolved to:
- 1. NOTE the Wattle Grove South Feasibility Study, as outlined in Attachment 1.
- 2. SUPPORT continuing with the next phases of planning, subject to community consultation on the land use options as part of the preparation of the draft District Structure Plan.
August / September 2018 - To commence the consultation process, the City undertook two community workshops. The purpose of the community workshops was to assist the City with gauging an understanding of the community’s expectations in relation to land use options and the future planning for Wattle Grove South. Residents in the Wattle Grove South precinct were informed of the workshops by letter. Information on the workshops was also available on the City’s engagement portal.
October 2018 - A community workshop was held on 1 October 2018 for the Industrial Development Strategy to ascertain the views of the community on the future of industrial areas within the City generally. The outcomes from the engagement of 10 and 12
September 2018 on Wattle Grove South and the engagement on the Strategy on 1 October 2018 assisted with informing modifications to the Strategy.
The Wattle Grove South project was taken to the City’s Special Council Meeting (SCM) on Monday 22nd October to determine the next phase in the project. The resolution Council was;
Alternative Motion 2:
- 1. ACCEPTS the community consultation outcomes shown in Attachments 1, 2 and 3.
- 2. NOTES that community views vary in relation to the potential for commercial / light industry uses south of Crystal Brook Road, with most participants and submitters stating opposition to the proposal.
- 3. NOTES that some community views support various forms of residential or a mixture of residential and commercial / light industry uses.
- 4. NOTES the community engagement outcomes in relation to the environmental values of the area.
- 5. REQUEST the Chief Executive Officer to prepare a report to Council, by May 2019, detailing the process and requirements, including cost, for establishing a Consultative Community Committee of Council to consider recommendations for the future of Wattle Grove South.
Therefore, it was resolved that the Chief Executive Officer to prepare a report to Council, by May 2019, detailing the process and requirements, including cost, for establishing a Consultative Community Committee of Council to consider recommendations for the future of Wattle Grove South.
December 2018 - The final Industrial Development Strategy was taken to the 3 December 2018 SCM for the purpose of final adoption. Wattle Grove South was removed from the Strategy as an industrial investigation and instead noted that the area is identified as an urban expansion / urban investigation area by the State Government’s North East Sub-Regional Planning Framework and identified the area north of Welshpool Road East as a planning investigation area.
At the 3 December 2018 SCM Council resolved to:
- 1. NOTES the Community Engagement Summary Report, Submissions and Responses as outlined in Attachments 2 and 3.
- 2. NOTES that at the 22 October 2018 Special Council Meeting, Council resolved to request the Chief Executive Officer to prepare a report to Council detailing the process, costs and requirements for establishing a Consultative Community Committee of Council to consider recommendations for the future development of Wattle Grove South and REMOVES Wattle Grove South as an industrial investigation area within the Strategy pending the outcomes of the Consultative Community Committee of Council process.
- 3. ADOPTS the Industrial Development Strategy as outlined in Attachment 1.
- 4. NOTES that the Industrial Development Strategy will undergo minor design and formatting improvements through the insertion of infographics and images, prior to the final version being published, and this will not change the core content, findings and strategic directions and actions of the Strategy.
- 5. REQUEST the Chief Executive Officer to undertake Environmental Studies to fully establish the Environmental Value within the Wattle Grove South Area.
February 2019 - A motion was raised at the 26 February 2019 Ordinary Council Meeting. Council resolved to:
- 1. REQUEST the Chief Executive Officer to cease investigations into the establishment of a Consultative Community Committee of Council to consider recommendations for the future of Wattle Grove South.
2. REQUEST the Chief Executive Officer to create a partial budget allocation in the 2018/2019 Mid-year Review, to commence the process, and the balance to be allocated in the 2019/2020 annual budget for engaging the services of suitably qualified consultants to conduct a comprehensive community consultation program to determine the level of community support for a variety of land use concept plans that incorporate the following design principles:
- a) Exclude any general or light industrial land uses.
- b) Reflect and acknowledge existing lifestyle and recreational opportunities of the area.
- c) A high-quality residential outcome that includes a range of densities.
- d) Include an appropriate amount of commercial development based on best practice design principles, including but not limited to public transport, technology, educational, medical and retail opportunities.
- e) Retain existing vegetation and tree canopy cover where possible.
- f) Consider tourism development opportunities that embrace the environmental, social and financial aspects of the City of Kalamunda.
- g) Provide for modern sustainable housing design principles including renewable energy capture, water sensitive urban design, storage, sharing capabilities and smart city initiatives.
- h) The subject area ‘Wattle Grove South’ to also include the land to the north of Welshpool Road East bounded by Tonkin Hwy, Lewis Road and Hartfield Golf Course.
April 2019 – At the April Ordinary Council Meeting a Scope of Works for undertaking Concept Planning and Community Engagement was considered by Council.
Council resolved to:
- 1. ENDORSES the scope of works as outlined in Attachment 1.
- 2. REQUEST the Chief Executive Officer to seek quotations in accordance with the scope of works as outlined in Attachment 1.
For futher information on this project please contact the City's Strategic Planning Services during office hours:
Telephone: (08) 9257 9807