Operating a Home-Based Business

Home-Based Business

If you are starting out in business, it may be possible for you to operate from home until you become established, especially if you provide a service.

If your business will be operated from a residential address you may need to apply for planning approval. In some cases planning approval may not be required. You must check the City’s requirements as, in situations where approval is required, it must be obtained prior to the business commencing operating from your home.

For guidance please contact the City of Kalamunda for further information.

Depending on the type of business that you will be operating, you may require other licences or approvals from the City. For guidance on other approvals that may be necessary from the City please see  Health Services Approvals and Licences.

The Business Licence Finder is a free online tool you can use to assist identifying the various other permits or licences your business may need from State or Federal Government.

A new national business names registration service has replaced the state system, so that businesses only need to register their name with the single national register. Unless you fall within an exemption, you must register your business name.

For advice on starting up your home-based business in the City you can contact the Small Business Development Corporation https://www.smallbusiness.wa.gov.au/business-advice

You will also need to ensure that you comply with your business tax obligations. You can obtain information and guidance from the Australian Taxation Office https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/

Rate this page - Was the information useful to you?
Rate this page - Was the information useful to you?
Reason for your rating *

Please enter the code below *