Distance: 2km & 4km
Time: 15-20 mins each trail
Location: Kalamunda Town Centre.
Description: Refer to the full Trail Map Notes for a description of the walk and various points of interest.
Dogs Permitted: Please keep your dogs on leads unless signage permits otherwise.
Download the App! Find it on the App Store and Google Play.
In the valleys on the Perth side of the township [of Kalamunda] the leschenaultia, orchids and hovea are growing … [and] the streets themselves are pervaded by their indescribably faint but beautiful scent. On the western sides of the hills, the last of the wattle still reflects back the rays of the setting sun as it sinks into a haze of city smoke. What a remarkable site it is to ... look across the 28 miles that separate Kalamunda from the ocean. There is probably no more beautiful scene in Australia. Heavy winter rains have given the bush a new apparel, have shaken the dust from their rain-drenched hair, and brought up a luxuriance of leschenaultia. If there were not the attractions of Kalamunda's big Week to draw city folk into the hills during the next few days, the wild flowers alone will call them.'
Prior to European settlement the Beeloo people occupied much of the land east of the Canning River in the Shire. The hills of the eastern Darling Range were opened up for timber logging from the early 1860s influencing the later development of the area to be known as Kalamunda. In 1881 Frederick and Elizabeth Stirk cleared the first land for agricultural purposes, in what is now the township of Kalamunda. The indigenous Beloo people roamed through this region. The Towns name is derived from the Aboriginal words “Cala” (home/hearth) and “Munnda” (forest) – meaning “a home in the forest” The official townsite name was approved in 1901.
Charles Brooks opened the first shop in a barn behind Stirk Cottage which he leased in 1896. Prior to that, early settlers travelled by foot or horse to Guildford on the Swan River for essential supplies. This was a distance of 13 kilometres along a rough bush track.
The Upper Darling Range Railway was privately built in 1891 to serve the Canning Jarrah Timber Company transporting timber to Fremantle via Midland Junction. It was known as the Zig Zag Line. The train ascended the steep Gooseberry Hill gradient with the locomotive pushing and pulling coaches and wagons into and out of sidings.
To help reduce the spread of Phytophthora Dieback along this walk trail and in the surrounding area:
- Don’t spread soil or mud around bushland, in particular during spring & autumn;
- Stick to tracks & paths;
- Observe signage in your local bushland reserve and stay out of quarantined areas in bushland.