Mon - Wed & Fri 10am - 3pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am - 4pm
Note: Last entry half an hour before closing
Entry fees: adult $7, concession $5, child $3, school program adult helper $3
Address: 56 Railway Road, Kalamunda.
Contact: Telephone - (08) 9293 1371
Extensive educational program, school holiday program and group tours available. Group visits can be made by appointment, outside the normal opening hours. Please call (08) 9293-1371 to arrange a booking and more information.
Kalamunda History Village is on the site of the old Upper Darling Range Railway Station built in the 1890s to service the Zig Zag line which transported timber from Canning Mills to the main line at Midland Junction. It is the largest folk museum in Western Australia depicting the unique hills life and industries that developed in the area. The two original railway stations and platform are on the National Trust List of Heritage Places.
The museum consists of
- Locomotive G118 – a "G" Class locomotive of the type used on the Kalamunda line, including the Zig Zag, during its 49 years of government ownership
- Railway stations – the original railway station (1903-1927) and a second railway station (1927-1949)
- School House (1905-1970) – the area's first State school building
- Post Offices – the original Post Office (1901-1921) and the first official Post Office (1921-1972)
- Chamber's House (1922) – which depicts a typical pre World War II boarding house
- McCullagh Cottage (1895) – a settler's cottage
- Carriage Shed – housing a range of older transportation vehicles
- Orchard Shed – showing the development of the orchard industry in the district
- Blacksmith – a display of the blacksmith's trade
- Sawpit – as used by the pioneers of the timber industry
- Dunny – an original, complete with newspaper
- Whim – used in the early days of the timber industry for moving logs - on loan from the WA Museum
- Kalamunda Community Memorial Building – featuring transport display and memorial wall
Location 12 Kalamunda Rd, Kalamunda, Western Australia 6076.
Stirk Cottage was built in 1881 by Frederick and Elizabeth Stirk. The Stirks took up a 10 acre property in the district known as Gooseberry Hill, this area later became the Kalamunda townsite. The cottage is made of wattle and daub using materials found on the property - jarrah saplings for corner posts and mud carted and mixed by Elizabeth. Charles Brooks took over the cottage in 1896 and established Kalamunda's first shop in a barn alongside.
The area has since been developed into a park, named Stirk Park after these enterprising settlers.
- Education visit $1.00 per student, accompanying adults free
- All other visitors - by donation
Opening Hours: Sunday 2.00pm - 4.00pm
Reason for your rating *
Please enter the code below *