The City of Kalamunda is dedicated to improving local road and path networks to help keep you and your family safer.
Works are scheduled to commence on Monday, 29 April 2019 to improve the pedestrian facilities at a number of locations in the Kalamunda Town Centre.
These upgrades include:
- Haynes Street - Improvements to footpaths and line-marking at speed humps, between Canning Road and Railway Road. Removal of four parking bays that are currently stopping the safe view between pedestrians and drivers.
- Barber Street - Improvements to the pedestrian crossing point on Barber Street, between Haynes Street and Mead Street. Removal of two parking bays that are currently stopping the safe view between pedestrians and drivers.
- Mead Street - Improvements to seven pedestrian crossings, between Railway Road and Canning Road.
- Railway Road - Improvements to two pedestrian crossings, between Mead Street and Haynes Street.
- Various locations – Drainage upgrades.
A zebra crossing is also proposed to be implemented on Canning Road as this has been approved by Main Roads WA. However this is subject to further discussion, with community feedback for an additional safety mechanism such as a puffin.
A puffin has a signal that allows the community to cross at certain times, ensuring that vehicles understand they must stop. This City is currently advocating for Main Roads approval for this to occur, and so it may involve further works.
The following work activities are required to deliver the upgrades:
- Survey identification
- Saw cutting
- Preparation works (e.g. excavation to remove existing sections of pavement or brick-work, etc.)
- Kerb installation
- Concrete installation
- Tactile and hand rail installation
This project is expected to be complete by mid-May (weather permitting), with works to be carried out between 7:00am and 5:00pm, Monday to Saturday. To minimise impact on the travelling public, some out of hours work may be required. In this event, notification will be provided to directly impacted residents by the Contractor carrying out the works.
From time to time, we may need to close sections of the path or road so our team can safely access the work area. Signage and where required, detours, will be in place to help you reach your destination.
We thank you for your patience and understanding whilst we work to deliver a safer network for you and your family.
If you are interested in helping to shape the future look and feel of the Kalamunda Town Centre or other projects in our City, sign up to the online Engagement Portal at engage.kalamunda.wa.gov.au. This portal allows you to share feedback on current projects and will notify you as new projects become available.